Free Your Mind And The Rest Will Follow

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Meditation chanes everything

Meditation has changed my life.  Dramatically changed my life.  I first sat down to meditate 12 years ago.  Let me tell you, for the first 10 years meditation for me was like trying to bag two dozen cats.  I would try to sit for just 5 minutes and all I wanted to do was jump up and run from my own skin.  In fact it was near torture and I could could barely keep my eyes closed for longer than a minute with out having to open them to see what was going on.  On good days sitting for a whole 10 minutes was a miracle.  I wanted so desperately to be a "good" meditator but I didn't know how. So I prayed for a way. Ask and ye shall receive. One day I was coming out of the Wedge  a man handed me a flyer with this guys face on it....


There he was, Sadhguru, this beautiful man with an answer to my prayer.  The flyer was for a 7 day meditation course called Inner Engineering.  I didn't know who he was or what this Inner Engineering was, all I knew was that this I had to take the course, and so I did.  In the Inner Engineering course we learned the Shambhavi Maha Mudra. A 21 minute meditation to do daily.  And I have been doing it daily (sometimes more than once a day) ever since.

In yoga we say our spiritual journey is like trying to reach God at the top of a very high mountain.  We all have different paths to the top.  Some prefer to zig-zag, some like the rough terrain, and some like to camp out along the way.  Prayer and Meditation is like jumping on the the Autobahn- it gets us to our destination faster.  Since I have began a regular meditation practice I can say with confidence everything in my life has changed for the better. Sadhguru calls it Inner Engineering because we have no control over the outside world.  The only control we have is on our internal world.  So what better way than to engineer an interior world that is peaceful and content.  Then whatever happens on the outside world we are able to approach it from that place of peace and contentment.

Most people sit down to pray to God for all the things they want, need or desire then say their amen and move on with their life.  They never give God a chance to respond.  "Dear God, I need this, this and this, Amen" We ask in prayer, but it's in meditation that we receive.  And you don't even have to be a Yogi or a Buddhist to meditate.  Even throughout the Bible it talks about prayer AND meditation. Heck, meditation is for everyone, even those whose paths are unnamed.Meditation is finding oneness with our highest truth.

There are many many many ways to meditate. There is not one way in which you are meditating correctly.  If it works for you then it's working.  Yoga means Union.  The Union of self with the Highest Self- God. Oneness.   The following is a video of Sadhguru talking about this union through meditation.

For more information about Sadhguru and his work you can check out his website ....
On this website there is a link to a meditation called Isha Kriya.  It's free to learn but you do have to sign using your email address which will be used to keep you updated via email about different events.  But it's a good place to start if you need some guidance.

For the time being I hope this inspires a desire for your own meditation practice. Meditation changes everything.  I will do a little more research and get back to you in a future post with other resources for cultivating a meditation practice of your own. Whether I give you resources or you find them on your own, all you have to do is try (even if it is bagging cats) and have the desire and your practice will find it's way. Also, please feel free to leave a comment if you have resources or suggestions or even questions about meditation.  Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment